Is RTL a family friendly lodge?
Royal Tree Lodge is a wonderful place for children where families can create lasting memories on our many child friendly activities.
Is Botswana a safe country to travel to?
Botswana has been named one of the top ten safest places to travel in Africa. Our guests express Botswana as being one of the most peaceful, welcoming, and safest places they have ever visited.
Are there additional activities or excursions RTL can help us plan?
Our local family of travel experts not only know some of the best kept travel secrets and locations to explore in Ngamiland and the Okavango but we can offer great value with seasoned guides or self drive options. We can offer taylor made adventures from day trips from the lodge or extended trips. Contact us at [email protected]
How can my stay at RTL benefit the local community of Maun?
Royal Tree Lodge exists to give our guests an unforgettable & unique personal African Safari experience while at the same time fulfilling our mission to lift the people of Ngamiland through our partnership with Love Botswana. Love Botswana runs more than 20 full-time programs in Maun including Lorato House rescue center for babies and children at risk, youth programs, leadership development and more. By staying with Royal Tree Lodge, you help underwrite these programs (guests can volunteer or visit our ongoing Maun programs & meet the founders!).
What is the weather like?
Our weather in southern Africa is generally speaking pleasant throughout the year – warm to hot days, and cool to warm nights – with summer (September to April) being the hotter months. During our winter months, however (May to August), it can become really cold at night and in the early morning, particularly when on safari, so we would like to suggest that you pack accordingly.
It’s recommended to choose neutral colors rather than bright or white clothing. Avoid wearing camouflage while traveling in Africa. Dress in layers for all activities, with a warm layer being essential in the early mornings and evenings. Long-sleeved shirts with roll-up tabs and zip-off trousers are great and allow you to adapt to local weather conditions as temperatures change.
What should I pack?
- Sun hat/bush hat.
- Golf-shirts and/or T-shirts – preferably with sleeves to protect your shoulders from the sun.
- Long-sleeved cotton shirts.
- Shorts and/or skirts that are comfortable but practical for getting in and out of game drive vehicles or if you plan to do game viewing on horseback rides.
- Long trousers/slacks.
- Track suit
- Pyjamas – lightweight for summer and warm/thermal for winter.
- Socks – thermal options are recommended for the winter months.
- Good closed-toe walking shoes (running shoes Work great).
- Lightweight hoodie or fleece in summer.
- Light rain jacket for summer months.
- Warm fleece or jacket for winter months (May-August)
- A scarf and gloves for winter mornings and evenings.