Jerry and Jana Lackey are the owners and stewards of Royal Tree Lodge, a luxury safari lodge and private game reserve. Royal Tree Lodge is as unique in its mission as in how it came into the stewardship of Jerry and Jana.
Jerry and Jana married in 1986, put their wedding gifts in storage, leaving the “American Dream”, in Houston, Texas to pursue their God-given-calling and their “God sized dream” and left for Botswana with a total of $300 of monthly support.
For over 30 years the Trust grew in scope and reach, launching over 30 life-changing programs, creating jobs and sustainable programs designed to better lives in the community and the Ngamiland and Okavango districts of Botswana, becoming one of the largest nonprofits in the country. The Lackeys have three grown boys, one teenage daughter, all born and raised in Botswana and one granddaughter.
Jerry, against all odds, survived stage 4 cancer and shortly after in 2009, through some incredible events, Tree Lodge was gifted to the Lackeys to steward as a sustainability partner for the work of Love Botswana.
Appropriately named, Love Botswana for the passion and vision they carry for it, many programmes have been birthed through the years through much hardship such as two homes lost to fire, stage 4 cancer, and setbacks too many to count! But through it all, many lives have been impacted through the heart of the mission statement:
A few of Love Botswana's programmes include:
- Rescue Centre for abandoned and vulnerable children ages 0-5 and orphans with disabilities up to age 10.
- Youth Programmes in Schools-HIV/Aids prevention, Life Skills, Sports and Creative Arts
- Outreaches to vulnerable communities, educating on the Children’s Act, Working with Families of Alcohol abuse, and identifying and assisting with child abuse cases
- Food, Clothing, practical help and psycho-social outreach to vulnerable communities, with focus on the elderly, widows and orphans
- Programmes for Deaf Adults
- Outreach Teams from around the world Cross Cultural Organisations, Universities, Groups of various kinds come year-round to participate in all the programmes of Love Botswana, to participate in Building projects, Medical Outreaches in partnership with the Ministry of Health, School outreach, Volunteering in the Orphanage, Training in many areas.
- A school-K-12 of 25 years, recently retired